The port of Brest is both a civilian and a Navy harbor. French battleships and uboats are stationed here – including those equipped with nuclear missiles.
During the Second World War the port of Brest was used by the German Reichsmarine (Navy) whose Battleships Gneisenau, Scharnhorst and Prinz Eugen anchored here.
By 1941, the German Marine built the uboat bunker which is Europe‘s largest bunker even nowadays.
The bunker served as Shipyard for battleships and uboats as well as a regular bunker for German uboats of the type VII B and VII C.